Thursday, March 8, 2012

Signs of Spring


It has been an amazingly beautiful day in Athens! After last weekend’s scary tornadoes and the cloudy skies that we have been having, the calm after the storm definitely feels like a wonderful treat. Since it was already in the 60s by 9 a.m., I just couldn’t resist spending my morning outside studying at one of my favorite spots in Athens!



Uga, Jr. seemed to enjoy the view while I sipped my delicious coffee and did some reading! It was such a great morning… no rush… no worries… no stress… just time to get my work done and enjoy the gift of the day. I am so thankful that I have had the opportunity to live in an awesome neighborhood for the past two years. It is unique and quirky and Athens-y in every perfect way, and on days like today, it sure is nice to be close enough to walk to class!



After my post on Tuesday about how I first fell in love with running, my long walk left me thinking about how simple exercise can truly be. Even if you aren’t a fan of running or if physical challenges keep you from running, walking can be just as effective when it comes to keeping your body healthy. Here in Athens, you can walk almost anywhere, and the hills provide the added bonus of a leg workout. My mom’s neighborhood is nice and hilly, too, and I always find myself surprised by how sore my quads and calves feel when we finish one of our “mega-walks,” as we like to call them!

Here’s my point - exercise doesn’t have to be complicated, and it doesn’t have to involve running until your heart feels like it is beating a million miles a minute. That kind of vigorous exercise isn’t always necessary, and it certainly isn’t for everyone. So now that spring is right around the corner (We spring forward this weekend! How is it time to change our clocks again already!?), I encourage you to lace up your sneakers and step outside for a nice long walk! I’d venture to guess that you will find that exercise is really not all that bad. In fact, it can be downright relaxing!

And if you don’t have easy access to a good, safe place to walk, or if you prefer to exercise at the gym, don’t worry! The treadmill plan that I am posting here will work your legs from several angles and will break your workout into intervals that keep things interesting and challenging!

Incline
Speed
Time
1.00%
3.8-4.0 mph
0:00-2:00
3.00%
3.6-3.8 mph
2:00-3:00
5.00%
3.4-3.6 mph
3:00-4:00
8.00%
3.2-3.4 mph
4:00-5:00
10.00%
3.0-3.2 mph
5:00-7:00
1.00%
walk @ 4.0 mph or jog @ 6.0 mph
7:00-8:00
10.00%
3.0-3.2 mph
8:00-9:00
8.00%
3.2-3.4 mph
9:00-10:00
5.00%
3.4-3.6 mph
10:00-11:00
3.00%
3.8-3.8 mph
11:00-12:00
1.00%
3.8-4.0 mph
12:00-14:00

** repeat this sequence as many times as you desire to finish out your cardio workout **

I use this workout whenever my knees and ankles need a break from running. It's definitely not as vigorous as a good long run, but it still does the trick when you are looking for a low-impact option! I also leave myself the choice to jog a bit to keep my heart rate up during the eighth minute, but you can just walk if you prefer! You can use this walking workout as cardio at the end of a leg workout OR by itself - both are great options that get your heart pumping and your legs moving.

Well, my spring break started today after I got out of my 3:30 class… I am so excited about having the next ten days to work a bit, do some reading, and relax. I have a few exciting things planned throughout the week that I am excited to share with you, too! On that note, I’m off to enjoy a homework-free evening!

Please note: Any exercise tips that I make on this blog are simply that - tips. I love to share my experiences with health and fitness, but it is important that you talk with a doctor before beginning any new exercise program, especially if you aren't working out already! I am always happy to answer questions and comments, if you have any! Thanks for reading :)

1 comment:

  1. It most certainly is the most pleasurable time to go outside for a "mega walk."

    ReplyDelete